Rains supreme

A steady rain for six innings shortened Monday’s contest and helped the Herd defeat the IronPigs, 5-3, from Coca-Cola Field. The game was called with one out in the ninth inning as Lehigh Valley mounted what could’ve been a game-changing rally.

The rain started in downtown Buffalo at about the third inning and picked up in intensity around the seventh. The teams played through the drops, with the Herd taking a 5-0 lead into the ninth inning.

But Manny Acosta allowed a lead-off single to Jeff Frandsen and walked Jeff Larish and Cory Sullivan to load the bases. Matt Miller cashed in a pair of runs with a single before Acosta issued two more free passes to force in a third run.

Bisons manager Tim Teufel went to the bullpen and Jose De La Torre came into the contest. But before the reliever could face a batter, the umpires called for the tarp, much to the dismay of IronPigs manager, Ryne Sandburg.

The game was then called after an hour and 42 minutes delay with the Bisons claiming a 5-3 win.

By International League rules, an umpire may call a game finished after a weather delay as long as the visiting team did not tie the score or take the lead. If the IronPigs had tied the game, the game would’ve been suspended as the home team must be given the same amount of outs to win the game.

Buffalo built the 5-0 lead thanks to a Kirk Nieuwenhuis first-inning home run and a four-run Bisons rally in the sixth. Herd starter Dylan Owen threw a gem on the mound, retiring 14 in a row as park of six shutout innings.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: